- Social Groups
- Pros & Cons
- Expert Advice
- Tweet (http://twitter NULL.com/share)
- (http://www NULL.linkedin NULL.com/in/angellaliberte)
“I mean, like when the kid is 25, the mother will be 65!” As I read her response to an article about first time moms over 40, I could almost picture the reader’s facial expression.
She would probably grasp that many of us older moms have the audacity to have not only one baby, but two after age 35 (http://vitals NULL.msnbc NULL.msn NULL.com/_news/2012/04/11/11147633-more-older-moms-dont-stop-with-one-baby-new-study-finds?lite).
Although women giving birth or adopting a baby in their late 30s and 40’s is becoming more common, the reader’s comment is just a reflection of the many people who exercise age bias against new older moms.
Like any other bias or prejudice, I believe her’s (assuming the reader is female) is based upon one of three possible causes: not knowing many new older moms, a personal negative experience with a new older mom or believing all the inaccurate data about older moms.
I would ask the reader to consider the following:
1) A 25-year-old is no longer a “kid.” A 25-year-old is a young adult and is often married and may have a kid of his or her own.
2) While I know that all moms play a vital role in their children’s lives (whether the children are adults or preschoolers), I assume that my child will be more independent at age 25 than she was at age 5.
3) Finally, and most importantly, I would encourage the reader to get to know a 65-year-old. Many lead active productive lives.
When my grand aunt was 65, she was getting married for the first time.
The real “Cha Ching” (urban slang) or money didn’t start coming in for Harland David “Colonel” Sanders until he was 65 when he founded Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Laura Ingalls Wilder, who wrote the Little House on the Prairie, didn’t publish her first novel until she was 65 years old.
Edith Wilma Connor entered—and won—her first bodybuilding competition at the age of 65.
My grandfather who has children over the age of 65, celebrated his 101st birthday in May. Last year, at his 100th birthday party (http://inseasonmomreflections NULL.blogspot NULL.com/2011/05/over-40-mom-myth-shattered-at-my NULL.html), he not only gave acceptance speeches for various awards, but he danced!
I encourage younger moms to keep an open mind. You never know what the future will bring. After all, if you are 20-something and have a child, one day you may have to assume custody of your grandchild. Then you will realize that being a good new mom is based on love and not age.
Notes for this blog:
Cynthia Wilson James, a former childbirth educator, conceived naturally and gave birth at age 42 and 44 to two healthy daughters, is founder of www.InSeasonMom.org, which provides support to first time moms over 35 and 40 through coaching, blogs and Mom of the Month articles.
- (http://www NULL.ctvnews NULL.ca/health/health-headlines/women-increasingly-going-online-to-seek-free-sperm-donors-1 NULL.1590245)
Angel on CNN(http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=WySnP2nnwXU)
CNN Mother's Day: "Mature Moms" (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=WySnP2nnwXU)(http://youtu NULL.be/atScMih4_d0) (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=sGRro4rHGeA)
AARP's "Inside E-Sreet" on PBS TV (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=sGRro4rHGeA)
(http://twitter NULL.com/achildafter40) (https://www NULL.facebook NULL.com/AChildAfter40) AChildAfter40 (http://pinterest NULL.com/AChildAfter40/)
- Subscribe to the Online Magazine from AChildAfter40.com (http://www NULL.scoop NULL.it/t/a-child-after-40-weekly-news)
- ACHILDAFTER40.COM Updates
- Adoption Over 40
- Career, Work and Business
- Celebrity Moms Over 40
- Dads Over 40
- Fertility-Infertility Over 40
- Growing Up in the ‘60s & ‘70s
- Health & The Over 40 Mom
- Later Motherhood In The News
- Menopause & Kids
- Midlife Mother's Day
- Mothers Over 40
- Mothers Over 50
- Parenting After 40
- Pregancy and Birth Over 40
- School and Over 40 Moms
- Seasonal Holidays
- Social and Support Groups
- Social Stigma and Becoming Social
TagsAdoption adoption after 40 aging baby after 40 blended family donor eggs egg donation after 45 egg donation after 50 egg donors famous moms after 40 fertility fertility after 40 fertility over 40 first time mother over 40 infertility IVF after 40 kelly preston kelly preston birth menopause menopause and motherhood mother's day mother's day after 40 mother's day gifts mother after 40 motherhood after 40 motherhood after 50 motherhood over 40 mother over 40 mother over 45 mother over 50 mothers after 40 mothers day 2013 mothers over 40 mothers over 40 school mothers over 40 working Older fathers older mothers older mothers kindergarten kids older mothers school over 40 pregnancy Parenting After 40 pregnancy over 40 pregnant after 40 school surrogacy