- Social Groups
- Pros & Cons
- Expert Advice
- Tweet (http://twitter NULL.com/share)
- (http://www NULL.linkedin NULL.com/in/angellaliberte)
By Kim Croisant, blogger at MommieAgain.com
Here I am in my 50’s: a Wife, Mom, Nana, and—unexpectedly—a “Mommie Again” to our youngest grandson.
Even though I am his grandmother, I’m “Mommie” to him. He does not know his biological mother and will never know his father.
Since unexpectedly becoming an “older mother” again in my 50’s, I’ve worked to inspire grandparents who are raising their grandchildren–as well as “later moms” who gave birth or adopted after 40–and all of us facing the menopause monster!
How I Went From Grandma to Mom
But my life changed dramatically the day my son and his wife lost their parenting rights. That’s when I began blogging at MommieAgain.com (http://www NULL.mommieagain NULL.com)—sharing stories about raising my grandson while in my 50’s, and experiencing the vagaries of menopause.
Now, our grandson, Brody, lives with us permanently and his two older brothers live with another family member. We get together often and have fun times.
Menopause and Motherhood At 50+
I’ve been lucky enough to be able to stay at home with him. Motherhood IS the hardest job a woman could ever hold, especially after 50!! I have to admit it, its tough.
My life has been turned upside down, but somehow we’ve managed. We are survivors! Despite common misconceptions about older mothers (and grandmothers!), we do plenty of outside activities with Brody—he’s also starting soccer, as well as attending child art classes.
Being an “older mom” and in the peri-menopause stage, I get cranky, irritable, and need my sleep!! I also have a huge bucket list that I want to complete. We (my husband and I) have lots of plans for the future and most, if not all, will include our little one.
With that said, I love to post about Brody and our awesome time together.
Gaining A Son, Losing A Son
But there is still an untold story to share, and I’m working on that. It’s hard to talk about my biological son, and I haven’t been ready to write about it either.
I have lost my son, my only child (Brody’s biological father) and I haven’t finished grieving over it. I thank God for giving me the strength and courage to carry on with life. After all, who else will raise Brody?
Through my blog, I want to offer support and encouragement to anyone that has gone through CPS (Child Protective Services) loops and challenges, midlife parenting, grandparents who raise their grandkids, women getting pregnant or adopting after age 40 or 50, and all women going through menopause.
Coping Tips: Motherhood Over 50 & Menopause
My advice on dealing with menopause while raising a toddler:
- Take time to relax – spend a weekend alone or with girlfriends—it does do you good.
- Talk to your spouse – tell him what’s going on in your body and ask him for help with the little one.
- When hot flashes arise…stay out of the kitchen!! No, really—if you must take your clothes off go in another room OR make a joke about it…just try keep it simple.
- When your emotions get out of hand (and they will), just remember to breathe deeply and count to 15. It does work!
- Find a relaxation exercise. Yoga is great for me!
Notes for this blog:
Kim Croisant resides in Texas with her husband and grandson, Brody, who is now 3 and ½ years old. You can follow her blog at: http://www.mommieagain.com (http://www NULL.mommieagain NULL.com).
- (http://www NULL.ctvnews NULL.ca/health/health-headlines/women-increasingly-going-online-to-seek-free-sperm-donors-1 NULL.1590245)
Angel on CNN(http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=WySnP2nnwXU)
CNN Mother's Day: "Mature Moms" (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=WySnP2nnwXU)(http://youtu NULL.be/atScMih4_d0) (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=sGRro4rHGeA)
AARP's "Inside E-Sreet" on PBS TV (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=sGRro4rHGeA)
(http://twitter NULL.com/achildafter40) (https://www NULL.facebook NULL.com/AChildAfter40) AChildAfter40 (http://pinterest NULL.com/AChildAfter40/)
- Subscribe to the Online Magazine from AChildAfter40.com (http://www NULL.scoop NULL.it/t/a-child-after-40-weekly-news)
- ACHILDAFTER40.COM Updates
- Adoption Over 40
- Career, Work and Business
- Celebrity Moms Over 40
- Dads Over 40
- Fertility-Infertility Over 40
- Growing Up in the ‘60s & ‘70s
- Health & The Over 40 Mom
- Later Motherhood In The News
- Menopause & Kids
- Midlife Mother's Day
- Mothers Over 40
- Mothers Over 50
- Parenting After 40
- Pregancy and Birth Over 40
- School and Over 40 Moms
- Seasonal Holidays
- Social and Support Groups
- Social Stigma and Becoming Social
TagsAdoption adoption after 40 aging baby after 40 blended family donor eggs egg donation after 45 egg donation after 50 egg donors famous moms after 40 fertility fertility after 40 fertility over 40 first time mother over 40 infertility IVF after 40 kelly preston kelly preston birth menopause menopause and motherhood mother's day mother's day after 40 mother's day gifts mother after 40 motherhood after 40 motherhood after 50 motherhood over 40 mother over 40 mother over 45 mother over 50 mothers after 40 mothers day 2013 mothers over 40 mothers over 40 school mothers over 40 working Older fathers older mothers older mothers kindergarten kids older mothers school over 40 pregnancy Parenting After 40 pregnancy over 40 pregnant after 40 school surrogacy