- Social Groups
- Pros & Cons
- Expert Advice
- Tweet (http://twitter NULL.com/share)
By guest writer, Dr. Carolyn Schweitzer, from MommyInTheMiddle.com
A New Way To Stop Your Biological Clock
It looks like researchers have found yet a new way for women to increase their chances of getting pregnant after 40 by stopping their biological clocks.
According to Dr. Sherman Silber—a surgeon in St. Louis who pioneered microsurgery in the 1970’s and has been at the forefront of ART research—freezing ovaries will soon be as medically mainstream as freezing eggs.
It was only last October the American Society of Reproductive Medicine made the controversial announcement that oocyte cryopreservation (freezing of unfertilized human eggs) was no longer experimental.
In fact, British fertility expert, Dr. Gillian Lockwood (http://www NULL.dailymail NULL.co NULL.uk/health/article-2238592/Egg-freezing-fathers-graduation-present-daughter-claims-leading-fertility-expert NULL.html), took to the next level by suggesting that “egg freezing should be every father’s graduation gift to his daughter”.
Works Like A Skin Graft
This layer is then sliced into about 20 strips (cryopreservation works better on the smaller pieces). The frozen strips are thawed as needed and surgically reattached to the woman’s remaining ovary, sort of like a skin graft.
The procedure was originally developed as a means of preserving fertility in cancer and autoimmune patients.
Producing Eggs For The Next 7 Years
With each surgery using around 4 strips, a woman could have enough tissue in the freezer to extend her fertile years by …well, you do the math!
A Chance to Delay or Reverse Menopause
Even more compelling is the fact that reattaching frozen ovarian tissue could also delay or reverse menopause. As long as a woman can keep returning to the “bank” for fresh strips of tissue, she’ll continue to ovulate and have a normal menstrual cycle.
In theory, this method will be infinitely more powerful than hormone replacement therapy for women facing challenges of menopause, or wanting to conceive after 40. And way more controversial.
The Downside of Ovarian Tissue Freezing
- The odds of success correspond to the age of the tissue when it’s frozen Freezing ovarian tissue is better suited for a younger women planning ahead than for a woman of 38 who fears time is running out.
- Frozen ovaries can’t be shared between women of different genetic makeup. The ovarian tissue must be the woman’s own, or from a twin or other relative who’s a close genetic match.
- Just like egg freezing a few years ago, freezing ovarian tissue is still considered experimental. Currently only around 20 babies have been born worldwide as a result of this new technique.
Egg freezing only took a few years to move from experimental to mainstream, radically increasing the potential for women to delay pregnancy until after 40.
Freezing one’s ovaries won’t be far behind.
Notes For This Blog:
Dr. Carolyn Schweitzer gave birth at the age of 46 and founded www.MommyInTheMiddle.com (http://www NULL.MommyInTheMiddle NULL.com). For her full bio, click here (http://www NULL.mommyinthemiddle NULL.com/about-me/).
- (http://www NULL.ctvnews NULL.ca/health/health-headlines/women-increasingly-going-online-to-seek-free-sperm-donors-1 NULL.1590245)
Angel on CNN(http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=WySnP2nnwXU)
CNN Mother's Day: "Mature Moms" (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=WySnP2nnwXU)(http://youtu NULL.be/atScMih4_d0) (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=sGRro4rHGeA)
AARP's "Inside E-Sreet" on PBS TV (http://www NULL.youtube NULL.com/watch?v=sGRro4rHGeA)
(http://twitter NULL.com/achildafter40) (https://www NULL.facebook NULL.com/AChildAfter40) AChildAfter40 (http://pinterest NULL.com/AChildAfter40/)
- Subscribe to the Online Magazine from AChildAfter40.com (http://www NULL.scoop NULL.it/t/a-child-after-40-weekly-news)
- ACHILDAFTER40.COM Updates
- Adoption Over 40
- Career, Work and Business
- Celebrity Moms Over 40
- Dads Over 40
- Fertility-Infertility Over 40
- Growing Up in the ‘60s & ‘70s
- Health & The Over 40 Mom
- Later Motherhood In The News
- Menopause & Kids
- Midlife Mother's Day
- Mothers Over 40
- Mothers Over 50
- Parenting After 40
- Pregancy and Birth Over 40
- School and Over 40 Moms
- Seasonal Holidays
- Social and Support Groups
- Social Stigma and Becoming Social
TagsAdoption adoption after 40 aging baby after 40 blended family donor eggs egg donation after 45 egg donation after 50 egg donors famous moms after 40 fertility fertility after 40 fertility over 40 first time mother over 40 infertility IVF after 40 kelly preston kelly preston birth menopause menopause and motherhood mother's day mother's day after 40 mother's day gifts mother after 40 motherhood after 40 motherhood after 50 motherhood over 40 mother over 40 mother over 45 mother over 50 mothers after 40 mothers day 2013 mothers over 40 mothers over 40 school mothers over 40 working Older fathers older mothers older mothers kindergarten kids older mothers school over 40 pregnancy Parenting After 40 pregnancy over 40 pregnant after 40 school surrogacy